Saturday, November 22, 2008

"Home" vs. "Back Home"

The holidays make me so damn happy.

This weekend I'm getting a lot of homework done before Thanksgiving break. I have two photography projects due Wednesday and an acting scene to completely memorize for Monday. Fortunately then I get to head back home to get totally immersed in the Christmas spirit before heading back to the ci-tayy.

Jen said that soon New York would become "home" whereas Texas would become "back home". Back home implies the life you left, the prairie before the big city. It makes a lot of sense. Right now I thoroughly enjoy both lives, as they both have such good aspects... I wish I could combine the two in some way!

That is all today. It is a frozen, frozen day-- not like yesterday's "cold", which was crisp, dry and autumn-y, no. Today's cold is a moist cold that soaks into your skin, seeping through even your thickest jeans where it stays clinging to your bones all day. The only cure is blankets and hot tea in a radiator heated dorm room. Ahh. I wish I had one of my fat fuzzy dogs from back home to cuddle up with! I miss dogs terribly.

Well, that's all I have for today. Have a wonderful chilly day...

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I miss "home" right now! I feel famous or something because I was mentioned in Kate's blog! Now I am definitely going to have a baking party when I get home!!

Allison said...

Did you go home for Thanksgiving?

Texas has become back home for me. Olympia only has a population of 40,000 but it doesn't feel small. It's a pretty artistic community. Plus Seattle is only an hour away.

I haven't even visited NYC, though I'd like to. I considered going to an art school there, but I've always been more partial to the west coast. Eventually I'll live in a big city. You sound like you're having a blast and I definitely admire you!

I'm adjusting to the cold still. I don't like Texas heat but I shiver like wind-up chattering teeth.

I'm glad you liked the ffvegan blog! I've followed it for about a year now but I've been cooking more and I finally tried her Roasted Cauliflower Soup. I'm also going to make her Double-Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake (which isn't fat free, lol)
to take to my cousin's for Thanksgiving. It was one of my new years resolutions for 2008 to become vegetarian mostly for the health and environmental reasons. Hopefully someday I can become vegan, but for now I'm addicted to cheese. My dad is in such denial :P He can't live without steak.

Allison said...

P.S. i really found this website helpful www.veggie123.com