Tuesday, September 30, 2008

And Tango Makes Three

I may be wrong or ignorant in saying this, but maybe, sometimes, the world gets a little smarter every day. Actually, what could happen is the big balance of ignorance/intelligence shifts places, but still.

I stumbled upon a list of "banned books" in schools, and of course found the classic "controversial" children's book, And Tango Makes Three. It's about the true story of these two penguins at the Central Park zoo who take care of a baby. And they're both dude penguins. They don't have gay penguin sex or go to zoo gay pride parades, they just take care of a little baby penguin. And of course people have to get pissed off about that.

So I go to the amazon web site for this book looking for a good debate in the comments from lots of ignorant people, but when I get there, I'm shocked to find there aren't really many anti-gay comments at all. Most of them are saying how the book is charming and says a lot about love and acceptance, with many of those same comments stating how people need to stop being ignorant (and of COURSE there are a couple of those "God hates gay penguins!" comments, which are immediately contested :] )

So, good job, 70% of parents. I bet you're all from New York.

That's one thing I REALLY love about living here. Everyone is so loving of the gay community. Not like in Texas, where everyone is "I don't agree with that lifestyle! Insert man-written bible verse maybe stated one time in the whole damn book where I ignore all the parts about love and acceptance! Rararar!"

2 comments:

lorax said...

A. I stumbled on that list a while back.

B. Gay penguin daddies is possibly one of the cutest things I've ever heard.

C. I'm incredibly jealous of you for living in a gay friendly community.

Tracy said...

Hey, Lauren — your community is pretty cool, too. ACL was the big feature in today's New York Times arts section! Weren't you there last Friday?

Come visit sometime.

(Sorry, Kate, for using this as a message forum! I liked your post.)